Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Hey Ladies... where have all the "Real Men" gone?

     So, I was talking with some ladies recently (or rather they were talking at Mach 3 and I was listening) and their conversation veered toward "real men", or in their opinion, the lack thereof! Wait....WTF?!?!?

Of course, I had to chime in and say "hold on a second! What the f$%k am I? chopped liver?" 

"No, not you! We mean there aren't any younger real men". 

Hmmm.This got me thinking (see picture of me thinking...)

Apparently we have lost the ability to make "real men" out of men along the way. Sometime in the late 80's we lost this skill and it has been disastrous ever since. I must admit... I am amused. This is worse than the case of the missing teaspoons!
     But really, how can they say there are no "real men" left? Present party included, I know plenty of "real men".  

Or do I?

     Maybe what "I" think makes a "real man" really doesn't. Maybe I have been thinking I am a real man all along when they think I am not. And what about all of those single guys that are walking around confused!! What if they don't know what makes a "real man"?  

This begs the question of what, in fact, according to women,  constitutes a "real man" ? 

And more importantly, where have they all gone? 

    I guess the only way to solve this is to put it to you Dear Readers, or more specifically, all of my Lady Dear Readers. This is your chance to vent your frustrations!
1) What constitutes a "Real Man". Be specific now...no waffling

2) Do you think there are any young "real men" out there? If not, why not?

I say we start with this and see where it goes. So what do you say ladies?
You lament that there are no "real men" our there? Help us out?
Leave some comments!

3 comments:

  1. Since you asked...I believe a "real man" is one who will do WHATEVER it takes to take care of his family. One who puts his wife & kids before his own needs, wants, hobbies, etc. He always has their best interest in mind, EVEN IF/WHEN it's a...n inconvenience to him at times. He isn't selfish, he is self-less. He works hard. He has integrity. He makes sure all his families physical, emotional & spiritual needs are met. He is a "servant-leader" to his family.
    I think in our society now there are so many BOYS who THINK they are "men" simply because they can shave. I've heard it called the "Peter Pan Syndrome". No, not a real clinical syndrome...just an excuse to never want to grow up and be responsible.
    Just one generation ago (our parents) men & women were getting married at 20-23 years old, working hard, raising families. Now we consider that so young because we see young 'men' fooling around until they hit 40. I think the men back then were "real men". They knew what they were doing. The "boys" of our generation could learn a thing or two from them. ok, whew! Just my opinion! ;)
    And for the record, I am SO thankful I have a "real man"!
    ---Katie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Finally! The Ladies respond! ... nice job by the way.I especially like the "peter pan syndrome" part. The only wrinkle I might have with your comment is that it implies that you cannot be a "real man" unless you have a wife and kids to take care of? I would posit that you can still be a "real man" and be single... and then when/if you get married you are now a "real man" with a family, in which case your comments could apply.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are right. I didn't make myself clear. I absolutely think that a "real man" can be single. I was just thinking of myself in the position of a married woman. I've met plenty of single men who didn't want to be responsible and played video games and refused to work and let mom & dad pay the bills while they live in their basement until they're 50. I've also met many single men who have taken responsibility for themselves at a young age (high school, college age) and been great men of integrity. Hard working, honest, responsible. I think all those qualities make a man a "real man", married or not. - Katie

    ReplyDelete