Monday, May 30, 2011

- The BIG summer project - A new Deck!


Can you feel it? The Do-it-yourself ads are on every 2 minutes. Lawnmowers are firing up. Flowers are going in... yes spring is finally here and like most homeowners, spring is the time to consider those big projects for the summer season. Well after 4 years of waiting, the Dear Wife and I are finally starting on our Big Project - A brand new Deck!We will try to turn this into... 

well, you'll have to read on!











As with any project like this, the first step is figuring out what you want to do, right? Well that can be easier said than done. We wanted to transform the whole backyard, complete with landscaping, patio, new deck and plant/flower beds but where to start? We bought plenty of magazines and visited lots of websites and while they did have some great ideas they don't necessarily go well together. We eventually decided we need some outside help and contacted B&B Landscaping in Glastonbury. Their designer did a great job putting all of our requirements together and came up with a really nice design which had all of the elements we wanted. I will say that they were quite pricey, but after some long discussions, they finally came down to a more reasonable price and we signed up with them. They will be here on July 5th to get started. 
     In the meantime, I am working on the deck and need to get that far enough along so that the lumber will be gone and not in their way. The deck will be 585 square feet and at it's highest point, be 12 feet off of the ground. The deck behind the house will have a roof over it so we can sit outside in any weather and the deck behind the garage will be open to the sky so we can enjoy the sun. We have decided to use IPE hardwood decking because it is natural and long lasting and white railings and posts.
 Over the next few weeks I will post some pictures of the deck as I progress through the build. It will probably take me most of the summer to complete it fully and will be the biggest deck I've ever built. Still I am looking forward to sitting on the completed deck with a nice cold drink in my hand!

------------------------------------------------------
I hope you enjoyed this post. There are some additional options you can do 

COMMENT - Have something to say? Let me know what you think! The comment box below is there for you retort. Feedback is welcome. 

SHARE - If you think this is share-worthy ( my goal of course ;) ) then use any of the small buttons below to send this to your friends via Twitter, Facebook or email. Spread the word 

FOLLOW ME- If you like it and would like to be notified automatically when I post newer stories, then simply press on the "follower" link above to set it up. I will not be putting any advertising in my blog...only posts.

No comments:

Post a Comment